The 16th Asian Games, part of the worldwide Olympic movement and governed by the Olympic Council of Asia (OCA) has announced a series of test events entitled 'Vigorous Guangzhou' which will be held from May to September prior to the Opening Ceremony at varied Games competition venues.
The Asian Games are the second largest sports event in the world after the Summer Olympic Games.
The 'Vigorous Guangzhou' series of test events include a number of provincial sporting events (accounting for 60%), national competition events (accounting for 30%) and regional or international competitions (accounting for 10%) covering 34 of the Guangzhou Asian Games sports and five of the Guangzhou Asian Para Games sports.
Thirty seven sport events under the name of 'Vigorous Guangzhou' are to be held in the Games competition venues in Guangzhou, with the other two in the co-host cities of Foshan and Dongguan respectively, said an e-message received by 'Pakistan Times' [Daily e-Newspaper] from Jeff Ruffolo Executive Advisor - Chief Communications Officer the 16th Asian Games on Thursday.
The majority of the test events will be held as invitational tournaments and qualifiers at the provincial or municipal scale, with the minority in the forms of championships and open championships; 85% of the 'Vigorous Guangzhou' sport events will be functional tests of media services, equipment arrangement, and venue operations etc. with the remaining 15% covering the comprehensive operation and cooperation among varied GAGOC departments.
Venuisation, the same venue-based operation management plan of the Guangzhou Asian Games and Guangzhou Asian Para Games, will also be introduced for the coming test events as venue teams from the GAGOC will take charge of the operation management at the test-event venues, the same competition venues for the future Games in November and December.
Meanwhile, GAGOC initiates appointments of National Technical Officials for the upcoming Games together training courses, and promote the Guangzhou Asian Games sports events programmeuring the 'Vigorous Guangzhou' series.
The 'Vigorous Guangzhou' series includes: Karate, Skeet, Soft Tennis, Judo, Football, Modern Pentathlon, Sepaktakraw, Rowing, Rugby, Beach Volleyball, Sprint Canoe/Kayak, Boxing, Weightlifting, Swimming, Roller Sports, Slalom Canoe/Kayak, Volleyball, Softball, Basketball, Cricket, Squash, Track Cycling, Billiard Sports, Mountain Bike, Water Polo, Equestrian, Golf, Gymnastics, Wushu, Chess, Dragon Boat, Taekwondo, Kabaddi, Bowling, Goalball, Wheelchair Tennis, Boccia, Wheelchair Basketball and Para Table Tennis.
The 16th Asian Games
The 16th Asian Games (www.gz2010.cn/en) is approved and governed by the Olympic Council of Asia and will be held in 揊lower City?of Guangzhou from November 12 - 27, 2010. More than 14,000 athletes, trainers and coaches from 45 countries and regions will compete in 42 sports.
More than 10,000 accredited and non-accredited worldwide media are anticipated to cover the Games with more than three million spectators expected to attend.
source: Pakistan Times